Vessel & Watercraft Titles & Registration Information

  • The Tax Collector of Indian River County serves as an agent for the State of Florida’s Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, and must follow the procedures set forth in the Florida State Statutes and Administrative Rules.


  • In order to assist the public, the Tax Collector’s office is providing general information regarding vessels (boats) & watercrafts. For more specific or detailed information, please access the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website or contact the Indian Tax Collector’s office.


  • Forms may be obtained from the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles form website or by contacting the Tax Collector’s office.


  • Florida law requires that all motorized vessels (boats) & watercrafts used in Florida’s waterways must be titled and/or registered.


Vessel (Boat) & Watercraft Titles


  • To title and register a vessel (boat) or watercraft in the applicant's name, please bring in the following items to the Tax Collector’s office:


    • NEW Vessel (Boat) or Watercraft: the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin completed by the selling dealer.


    • USED Vessel (Boat) or Watercraft: the title properly completed for transfer by the seller, the registration in the name of the seller, and a bill of sale from seller to purchaser.


  • Every person applying for ownership on a new or used vessel (boat) or watercraft must complete one of the following:


    • Fill out and sign the Application for Certificate Of Title With/Without Registration (HSMV 82040).


    • Be present in our office to sign the application and provide personal identification.


  • Sales tax must be paid unless the transaction is exempt. If purchased from a dealer, proof must be submitted indicating the dealer has already collected the sales tax.


  • Title application fees range from $8.25 and up.


Vessel (Boat) & Watercraft Duplicate Titles


  • The registered owner(s)* of record for a vessel (boat) or watercraft may apply for a duplicate title. An Application for Duplicate or Lost in Transit/Reassignment for a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Title Certificate (HSMV 82101) must be completed in detail and can be submitted to the Tax Collector’s office.


    • If there is an outstanding lien (i.e. finance company, lending institution, etc.), only the lien holder can apply for a duplicate title. If the lien has been satisfied, a lien satisfaction form must be presented.


  • The fee for a Florida duplicate vessel (boat) or watercraft title ranges from $8.25 and up.


  • Fast Titles are available for an additional $5.00 for vessels.


  • If your title is issued in another state, you must apply for the duplicate title through the proper department/division of that state.


Vessel (Boat) & Watercraft Registrations


  • Registrations are renewed annually during the birth month of the first owner listed on the registration.


  • Florida law does not provide for vessel (boat) & watercraft registration renewal notices, although the Tax Collector of Indian River County does mail out courtesy renewal notices. These courtesy renewal notices are mailed 4 weeks prior to the month in which the registration expires, from data compiled by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles.


  • Not receiving a renewal notice by mail does not relieve the vessel (boat) or watercraft owner of their responsibility to timely renew their boat registration.


  • Initial and renewal vessel (boat) or watercraft registrations can be obtained at the Tax Collector’s office

Under F.S. 668.6076, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.




Payment Methods

Records, Search & Forms